Thursday, July 11, 2013

Homemade Apple Chicken Salad

I'm not gonna lie.  I love Panera.  I also love that they were committed to having antibiotic-free chicken LONG before it was popular.  I eat there frequently enough, but our budget does not always leave room for me to indulge.  Food is also an area where I have those moments of:  "I could totally make that". One of my all-time favorites of theirs is the "Fuji Apple Chicken Salad."

I discovered that you can actually buy the salad dressing at the grocery store (I saw it at SuperTarget) but after reading the ingredients (soybean oil, sugar, etc) I decided making it would be an even better idea.  So, here is my copycat version of the Panera Fuji Apple Chicken Salad:

Romaine lettuce (we added some spinach and kale too)
Grilled chicken breasts (or rotisserie chicken)
Chopped Red Onions
Chopped Tomatoes
Pecans (or walnuts)
Crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (or feta)
Dried apple chips (we have a dehydrator so we made some of our own!)

For the dressing:
2 T. oil (we like to use Grapeseed, but I'm sure olive oil would work well too)
1 T. white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 T. organic apple cider vinegar
1/2 T. garlic powder
1/2 T. onion powder
1.5 tsp dijon mustard
3 T. Frozen organic 100% apple juice concentrate (we also have a juicer so I am hoping to try this with actual fresh juiced apples in the future)

Whisk together and refrigerate!

YUM! And this one recipe costs less than one order at Panera but fed all five of us.  The only ingredient I did not have was mustard (we're not big mustard fans), but now that I have it, we can use it over and over to make this recipe.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment